- Climate change and impacts to ecosystems, landscapes, and hydrology.
- Geological carbon capture, use and storage.
- Radionuclide flow and transport, and material behavior at geologic conditions.
- Waste forms and used nuclear fuel disposition.
- Atmospheric, climate, and ecosystem science.
- Geology, geochemistry, and geomaterials.
- International field instrument deployments and operations.
RECENT MAJOR PROJECTS
- Actinide environmental chemistry.
- Advancing nuclear fuels.
- Cleaner, greener, and more efficient biofuels and hydrocarbon resources, extraction.
- Climate and atmospheric research: many global research campaigns.
- Climate change and its effects on forest systems.
- Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty support and field exercises.
- Contamination fate and transport and environmental remediation.
- Determining and detecting signatures of underground nuclear testing, forensics.
- Multiphase subsurface fluid flow research.
- New approaches to carbon capture: utilization and storage.
- Next Generation Ecosystem Experiment: examines Arctic permafrost degradation.
- Radiologic waste disposal and repository science.
- Developing, deploying Unmanned Aerial Systems.