- Researching microscale, mesoscale, and global scale atmospheric phenomena
- Applying our acclaimed software to wildland and urban fire propagation
- Computation to develop stronger, more efficient energy materials (e.g., wind turbines)
- Simulating electromagnetic pulse (EMP) signatures to characterize lightning and security threats
Subsurface Flow and Transport Processes
- Researching chemical interactions with time, the environment, and movement through soil, rock, and water.
- Developing and applying models to predict flow and transport of multi-phase fluids in subsurface porous and fractured media.
- Improving geothermal and oil/gas extraction.
Nuclear Nonproliferation and Global Security.
- Characterizing gas migration from subsurface nuclear explosions through the subsurface and atmosphere.
- Designing and testing nuclear waste repositories.
- Studying chemical and physical interactions to improve extraction efficiency, reduce water usage and reduce greenhouse gas emission.
- Developing process models, infrastructure optimization models, and risk/performance assessment tools.
High Performance Computing: Subsurface Flow and Transport
- Developing advanced computational methods to model flow and transport in porous and fractured geologic media and coupled thermal-hydrologic-chemical-mechanical processes.
- Applying strong Uncertainty Quantification (UQ) and Parameter Estimation (PE) capabilities.
Wildfire, Regional Climate, and Wind Energy
- Combining our world-class parallel computers, advanced numerical methods, and code suites to enable detailed simulation of atmospheric dynamics and coupled atmospheric-wildfire interactions.
Other Critical Capabilities
- Geologic characterization and numerical mesh generation support subsurface flow projects.
- EMP simulation supports critical weapons phenomenology programs.
- Machine learning.
- Quantum computing to support subsurface research.
- Clean energy including fossil and wind.
- Climate-impact realization.
- Environmental management.
- Microscale, mesoscale, and global-scale atmospheric phenomenology.
- Nuclear explosion-induced atmospheric physics.
- Repository science for nuclear-waste disposal.
- Subsurface flow and transport in porous and fractured media.
- Wildfire and urban firestorm modeling and predictions.