We develop and apply subsurface flow and transport modeling in porous and fractured media, from pore-scale lattice Boltzmann to regional watershed scales with applications to programs involving subsurface water, subsurface contamination of aquifers, CO2 capture storage and utilization, energy development in hydrothermal and fossil energy, environmental cleanup, and waste-storage.
- Quantum computing for subsurface flow and transport.
- Physics-informed machine learning for energy extraction (geothermal and unconventional oil & gas).
- Characterization and remediation of the Nevada Underground Test Area, UGTA.
- Increasing the efficiency of hydraulic fracturing and reducing the environmental impacts.
- Carbon sequestration risk analysis.
- Underground repository science for nuclear waste disposal for the Spent Fuel Waste Storage Campaign, SFWST.
- Next Generation Ecosystem Experiment Tropics and Arctic.